With a growing number of companies treating "sustainability" as an important objective in their strategy and operations in order to increase their growth and global competitiveness, the trend has reached well beyond the small niche of organizations who traditionally positioned themselves as "green". Organizations engaged in sustainability efforts include those of all sizes, ages and sectors and move forward along the path to sustainability by improving performance and reducing their resource footprint.
There are a number of reasons why organizations are pursuing sustainability:
- Increase operational efficiency by reducing costs and waste
- Respond to or reach new customers and increase competitive advantage
- Protect and strengthen brand and reputation and build public trust
- Build long-term business viability and success
- Respond to regulatory constraints and opportunities